Gipsy Rose Warhol

You know, it takes a certain gift to have everyone quoting you years after you’ve said something. But I guess it takes an even greater gift to have the thing just about come true. Yep, I’m pretty sure, now, that everyone will become world-famous for fifteen minutes – and blogs just moved the spotlight that little bit closer. So, here we go: lights, camera, action!! Umm, actually I’m not quite ready yet – gimme fifteen minutes…

Thursday, 17 May 2007

Superheroes

How I loved the superhero mags. But how I wonder about the superhero films. Except, perhaps, the first Christopher Reeve Superman film, and the latest Batman Begins. Now those two are seriously good.
I think it's because of a childhood perception which persists today: that I always remember the mag stories as serious works, with the humour coming out of the minds/mouths of the heroes themselves. I never considered them as parodies (they gave no hint of it). They never seemed like spaghetti westerns - at least, I can't remember them being like that. I was very young then, so maybe some of it went over my head. I just feel there is too much 'aren't we clever' stuff in the subsequent Superman etc films. Even Spidey doesn't quite hit the mark for me. And he was my fave. Maybe it's because I never did sell enough mags to buy the mini-sub, so I've become bitter and twisted over the years. Maybe I'm just bitter and twisted full stop!
LOL
Yeah, that's what it is.
You know, there is one superhero who fascinates me the most - yet he is the least explored: Namor, the bane of the Fantastic Four. Apparently, he was the first ever superhero, just he was eclipsed by subsequent creations. A shame, I reckon. Still, it's a public vote. The public roolz!!

3 comments:

R1X said...

Intriguing - but for me, the ones to look to are the ones straining for realism... or rather: seriousness - I loved Batman Begins, Spidey 1 and 2 filled a slot, but Superman Returns went too far into boredom land. That's why I've got stuck into NBC's Heroes in a big way. People with powers, conspiracy, vulnerability, treachery - wonderful concept.

esruel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
esruel said...

Yep, Rich, you're dead right. If the heroes are serious and real enough to believe in, then the viewer/reader has something to latch on to. I remember how they all really believed they were saving the world, or defeating crime, protecting the ordinary guy. As with my early memories of books, it's a long, long time since I've read any comic mags, just to check out how I feel now reflects how I remember them.