I never thought I'd say this, but I lost interest in Manchester United this afternoon. Only after the first 90 minutes, mind you; and only during extra time. But I did. I just didn't recognise them. They were only marginally more positive than against AC Milan. Or should that be 'less negative'?
Everything my favourite team stood for disappeared today. It was depressing to watch. A fear of losing seemed to have taken hold on the whole lot of them. A team with Rooney and Ronaldo in it played like a team without Rooney and Ronaldo in it. I'll get over the defeat, I'm sure. Not sure I'll get over the manner of it.
It got me thinking. Writing is like that. You have to write without fear; write in the positive. Never be negative, even when you hit a snag, a problem, that seems unsolvable. Just keep thinking and it will turn around. You'll work it out.
Paul McCartney said that his best stuff came out of not worrying. Just keep doing it and it will come out fine. David Bowie is the master of that. Always, always, always does he come out with stuff that came from not being afraid.
Looking at my latest work, I'm still in the planning stage. I feel I shouldn't be. I really haven't done that much planning - just tried to crystallize each person in the story (mainly in the belief that if I get them right, then the storyline will take care of itself). There are other elements to the tale that flow along with it, but the river is there. I'm sure of it.
I gotta stop worrying. Maybe my failure to get published with 'Sword' is part of my anxiety. It was a huge project and nobody wanted it. But I recognise that - the failure - so it's not like I'm hiding from it. The positive side is that I've done other things, short stories, poetry. Now I'm attempting this latest novel.
What on earth am I going on about?
I have to stop worrying.
Write. Just write. I just gotta write.
Gipsy Rose Warhol
You know, it takes a certain gift to have everyone quoting you years after you’ve said something. But I guess it takes an even greater gift to have the thing just about come true. Yep, I’m pretty sure, now, that everyone will become world-famous for fifteen minutes – and blogs just moved the spotlight that little bit closer.
So, here we go: lights, camera, action!! Umm, actually I’m not quite ready yet – gimme fifteen minutes…
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Write, write, write - truer words were never spoken (oh, cliche). That's what I feel, Es. I plan and pontificate as a way of preventing myself from committing to the work... just like now.
Yep, Rich. There's nothing better than being in the middle of it, instead of on the edges of it. Maybe tonight I'll be in the middle of it!
Post a Comment