Just been to sfsite, and had a read of yet another flamewar. Seems like where there is a forum there is a way. I like sfsite - there is a wealth of information there for any reader. But I get the feeling the place is shrinking. This always seems to happen where the 'live' online usefulness to the writer has begun to wane, or where the site gives the impression that it is more important than the writer, or its members. Couldn't say whether any of that is the case there. I haven't been there long enough, and I've also stayed out of discussions recently. I've seen what happens too many times when they get out of hand, and there are plenty enough dead websites around (or not!) to illustrate the future of an overbearing hand. I even had someone interrupting a conversation I was having about Tolkien, with someone sticking a link concerning Tolkien in the middle of the conversation, with neither a 'please' or a 'may I' while doing it. Arrogance defeats any argument. It also defeats any purpose.
There is a lot of bitterness at sfsite, illustrated in discussions there, that SF is not regarded as literary work both within the publishing industry and by the reading public. This appears to be reflected in fact, as SF writers tend to win SF awards, but not the literary awards these days. Probably sets the tone for the site. I always feel that sites need new members and new moderators regularly. Change helps change. Not always for the good, but usually for the good - and that's all it needs, really: change.
Anyway, enough of that. Here was an argument that centred aound someone apparently trying to bury someone else's argument by quoting some notary from somewhere, and then the other person replying that they obviously can't sustain their own argument so they have to quote someone else, thus giving rise to the idea that they don't have thoughts of their own. And it went on and on. This was by no means the longest argument I've seen there - one or two appeared to have been rethreaded in order to allow more space to accommodate them!
Now, I myself quote the odd (famous) writer or musician. Ha! I've even quoted Noel the Ultimate Proofreader. But I do it sparingly, and only in support of my own on-going journey. I ain't never gonna put someone down by quoting someone else - you know: look at me, I know more quotes and references than you, so you really should be listening to what I'm saying!
I believe firmly that any kind of artist should learn from someone. You need someone, or some thing, to refer to, that actually means something to yourself. But I also believe even more that this is all secondary to yourself. No matter how great the artist you admire, or teacher, they are not more important than yourself. You have to regard yourself as the new standard bearer, that you are the one who is carrying the baton while you have the ability, and/or the inclination or momentum.
Always give credit where it is due. Never not do this. You will create dark corners in your own mind, and they will shade things where there is no need for it.
But always stand up for yourself, give yourself due credit, and say and do what you believe in. Do it for the right reasons. Create your own world.
Gipsy Rose Warhol
You know, it takes a certain gift to have everyone quoting you years after you’ve said something. But I guess it takes an even greater gift to have the thing just about come true. Yep, I’m pretty sure, now, that everyone will become world-famous for fifteen minutes – and blogs just moved the spotlight that little bit closer.
So, here we go: lights, camera, action!! Umm, actually I’m not quite ready yet – gimme fifteen minutes…
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment