Gipsy Rose Warhol

You know, it takes a certain gift to have everyone quoting you years after you’ve said something. But I guess it takes an even greater gift to have the thing just about come true. Yep, I’m pretty sure, now, that everyone will become world-famous for fifteen minutes – and blogs just moved the spotlight that little bit closer. So, here we go: lights, camera, action!! Umm, actually I’m not quite ready yet – gimme fifteen minutes…

Thursday, 2 August 2007

Great Expectations

Taking Maria's lead, I had a quick look back at what I like to read. And it really was a quick look, as my head is full of thoughts for future writing.
Once again, I found myself amazed at how similar are the writing styles of Great Expectations and The Lord Of The Rings. To me, they could have been written by the same person. The attention to detail is immense. Fabulous works, both. So similar, yet from such different times.
But would they be published today? I wouldn't have a clue. Time moves on and the writing world moves with it. Different wants, different needs.
Koontz and Banks have that touch.
Lots to look at, lots to read later, as that's as far as I can go. I've set them all aside.
A note to myself: study the masters; don't try to become them. Stand on your own.

No comments: