Having finished the first two chapters, give or take a word or two, I started looking at the third chapter.
Incidentally, I was always leaning towards a prologue and a first chapter with these first two pieces. When I read the first page of the second chapter down the phone to Noel the Ultimate Proofreader, his immediate reaction was that this sounded more like a first chapter. So, it seems I was right: prologue and first chapter.
The prologue does bother me a little: I like it very much, and it establishes a beginning way into the past while introducing three of the people in the tale. Hmmm, but does it detract from the first chapter? Does it reduce its effect, somehow? A question for later, with a fresher outlook, as they both exist and my thoughts are a bit too subjective right now.
Back to this next chapter, I became a bit anxious - I hadn't really got a next chapter to hand, and was unsure as to what it should be. To the point where I couldn't think of one.
I began to look through my notes. Inspiration was needed.
Suddenly, there it was: three quarters the way down a page I had drawn a line. Underneath, and continuing on the next page, were some notes about a passage that needed to occur near the beginning of the story. I knew about it, and sometimes thought about it now and again, but had put it to one side while I began the beginning. It seems to be a perfect fit. I won't know until later, but it feels like it.
Amazing how you can think of something and not realise why you thought of it. Is this why I couldn't think of a following chapter? Because I had already thought of it? Perhaps there is no better way forward in the story and that's why I couldn't think of another one.
Writing life!
Gipsy Rose Warhol
You know, it takes a certain gift to have everyone quoting you years after you’ve said something. But I guess it takes an even greater gift to have the thing just about come true. Yep, I’m pretty sure, now, that everyone will become world-famous for fifteen minutes – and blogs just moved the spotlight that little bit closer.
So, here we go: lights, camera, action!! Umm, actually I’m not quite ready yet – gimme fifteen minutes…
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment