Gipsy Rose Warhol

You know, it takes a certain gift to have everyone quoting you years after you’ve said something. But I guess it takes an even greater gift to have the thing just about come true. Yep, I’m pretty sure, now, that everyone will become world-famous for fifteen minutes – and blogs just moved the spotlight that little bit closer. So, here we go: lights, camera, action!! Umm, actually I’m not quite ready yet – gimme fifteen minutes…

Tuesday, 6 November 2007

The magic of Turner!

Wednesday evening should see me officially no longer under the doctor and back in the land of job-seekers! Feeling so much more alive than at any time in the last couple of years, I find myself dotting around the Net and blogs and newspapers, scanning for information and inspiration. Every now and then I'll take a sidelong glance at my latest work, knowingly and unknowingly preparing for my latest writing surge. It will come, I know it will - and I'll be one step closer to the sending-off.
Looking around as I have been doing, my eyes have fallen on a few pieces concerning the Turner Prize. With Noel The Ultimate Proofreader's assertion that 'You've set yourself a mammoth task, Peter!' echoing in my head after I'd run through the plot and future events within the tale - and Noel is right, so I must be ultra-careful and diligent - a rather odd thought occurred to me that my 'off the wall' internal impression of my latest work could haunt me forever if I do not get it right. I love the Turner Prize, as it's incredibly challenging. Nowhere else is the question 'But is it art?' asked so frequently, and so seriously. Of course it's art. Thought is art! But the line between brilliance and mediocrity is incredibly thin. It is so apparent in the Turner Prize. I feel I'm close to that line and I have to be aware of it at all times. I don't want to end up at the wrong end of the Turner spectrum. Brilliance? I have to make it brilliant. One day I will be judged for real. That's for certain. If it's not brilliant, I will deserve to be unsuccessful.
Ha! This is some talking-to I'm giving myself! I'm close to writing something again and the tension is growing. Gotta be careful. If Noel's impression is one of hugeness (and it is my impression, too, and I didn't prompt him), then I know I'm going somewhere with it: it's what I intended. I got that part right, at least!

No comments: