Gipsy Rose Warhol

You know, it takes a certain gift to have everyone quoting you years after you’ve said something. But I guess it takes an even greater gift to have the thing just about come true. Yep, I’m pretty sure, now, that everyone will become world-famous for fifteen minutes – and blogs just moved the spotlight that little bit closer. So, here we go: lights, camera, action!! Umm, actually I’m not quite ready yet – gimme fifteen minutes…

Tuesday, 20 November 2007

Kindling interest

It's an oddly untechnical word: Kindle. For a new computer gadget, I mean. Doesn't grab you by the wotsits, does it? Still, it's by Amazon, so I suppose they know what they're doing.
I've been waiting for ages for a proper ebook gizmo-thingy - I believe it's the single-most reason for the lack of progress in ebook downloads and sales. Books just don't look the same, even on a laptop, and they certainly lose their lustre when printed out on A4, no matter the quality. The problem, I guess, is that the reader has to display flexibility. Not a good marketing ploy when the reader is the one who's paying!
The music industry has experienced a right old shake-up with the ease of download and portability of whole albums and catalogues. The consumer has won hands down - and so have the record companies, if they've got their marketing right.
I can't say any more until I've had a go with one. I will be asking: is it big enough to forget the technology involved? is it small enough (or unobtrusive enough) to carry around? is it heavy? is it too thick (it really needs to be thin)? if it's big, will it be foldable, say, into mobile phone size? I could go on, and the number of models will go on, I'm sure - sounds a bit critical of me, but the mobile phone world has ensured a cynical view until I'm convinced otherwise!
A very interesting development.

2 comments:

MG said...

Yep, same. I think there's something just a little daggy about the buttons. I'd have to feel it in my hands first...
But you can buy a lot of books for that much money...enough to keep you going until there's a cheaper, cooler device on the market.

esruel said...

Holograms. That's where it will all lead, eventally. Virtual books right in front of your eyes, touch sensitive pages, with 3D pics, and even action films embedded.
Tv will get that way, too, one day.