Gipsy Rose Warhol

You know, it takes a certain gift to have everyone quoting you years after you’ve said something. But I guess it takes an even greater gift to have the thing just about come true. Yep, I’m pretty sure, now, that everyone will become world-famous for fifteen minutes – and blogs just moved the spotlight that little bit closer. So, here we go: lights, camera, action!! Umm, actually I’m not quite ready yet – gimme fifteen minutes…

Sunday, 25 November 2007

Holograms

I was listening to the Litopia podcast and the discussion concerning the Kindle. It's pretty obvious that there is scepticism, however much there is acceptance that something needs to happen. As I see it, what it comes down to in this modern world of aesthetically-driven products is how it all looks, not what it does. And the Kindle can be made to look a whole lot better.
The advantage the music world has over the book world is that, as far as listening goes, it just had to get the sound right and the rest was easy.
The book, however, is reliant on the eye. If it doesn't look right then you've lost. Infinitely more difficult.
To me, you have to try to reproduce the look of the book: it's a natural entity that has evolved into what it is now.
My idea of what should happen is possibly a long way away from what can actually happen at this moment. I don't know very much about that bit, so it might be a lot closer than that. But I do think that they should give up this idea of temporary 'bridging' with things like the Kindle, and raise the stakes a notch or two. Perhaps everyone should be trying to reproduce the book using something like holograms, probably via mobile phone technology.
I was reminded of Jean Michel Jarre and his use of lasers to create musical sound.
I've actually no idea how far away from this kind of thing holograms are, but can you imagine how great it would be to not only read a virtual book which is hovering before you in mid-air, but to also be able to view 3D pictures and even watch videos designed especially for the book.
Imagine merging The Lord Of The Rings book and film!!!
Are holograms such a crazy idea? Maybe there is something even better - ahem! and don't say the book itself!!!

No comments: