Gipsy Rose Warhol

You know, it takes a certain gift to have everyone quoting you years after you’ve said something. But I guess it takes an even greater gift to have the thing just about come true. Yep, I’m pretty sure, now, that everyone will become world-famous for fifteen minutes – and blogs just moved the spotlight that little bit closer. So, here we go: lights, camera, action!! Umm, actually I’m not quite ready yet – gimme fifteen minutes…

Tuesday, 7 August 2012

Typing up the past to secure the future

Right now, even though there is so much still to write - create and write - I'm getting the feeling that I must begin typing up what I've done lately. I need to know where I am in terms of the story narrative. The literary side will take care of itself i.e. I've come to understand that a lot is expected of me, and therefore I must adhere to that part of the bargain: as a writer I have to make it worth the reader's while. No amount of emphasis on grammar and punctuation will make any difference to the quality, if the quality isn't there. A semi-colon may look clever, but if there's nothing in the resultant clause, then what is the point of putting it in. The content of a sentence must reflect the purpose of the narrative; the content of the narrative must reflect the purpose of the story. To entertain. Anything less and you will have lost the reader.
At this point, I could carry on settling events into a pattern and knocking up a storm as I head off into my own horizon. I feel, though, that I'm possibly getting ahead of myself with one or two things. Typing up, editing, adding more, will help me get a feel of everything I've set down.
My wonderful readers have seen parts of it already and they will probably see that I've not added hugely to the word or page counts in that respect. Worrying about what they're going to say would be counter-productive, though. I'm pretty fearless and they are used to me by now. It's where I'm going with it all, and how, that matters: have I delivered? That's where I'm anxious for their valued opinions. Do I entertain, do I inform, do I hook the reader's attention? Have I lived up to my own billing? ;-) Well, you gotta be positive and say I hope they endorse what I've done. I'm not worried about what I've done wrong - it's whether I've hit any heights. Because if I haven't...
The prologue was an attempt to inform, which it does. But it doesn't entertain, and the advice so far was that it needed looking at. I'll probably do that when the first book is finished. A prologue may not be needed. It may not be my decision either way if it gets far enough. Mind you, it's quite a distance from opening The Lord Of The Rings until you get to the first page of the story itself. And Koontz spends a lot of time preparing the reader before the opening lines of Seize The Night. Options, my dear followers, are like gold dust. One must never throw them away.
So, I'll spend one more night at this early-ish point in the story, trying to ensure that this most difficult part in the tale (most difficult to me) actually works. I believe it does and that all of my self-inflicted worry and doubt has not been too much in vain. In truth, I feel this has kept me on my toes.
The Intrepid Four will receive their copies in the next month, though they have enough to contend with in their own lives and commitments, so I need to be patient. Then again, I need to be getting on with the rest of the story. And so I will!
Wow, this is a long road. Enjoying it, though... :-)

No comments: