I was wondering why I'm not diving in and writing away at my latest work, and trying not to over-analyse how I am doing things right now.
I have a fear of going too far down the road with it and not being able to unravel it if I happen to do just that. So I'm spending a great amount of time thinking and looking at different angles before making the next move. I've said this before, and it's worth realising the amount of tension and focus involved in doing this. I'm not actually doing this by choice - it just seems the way of my current world.
Once I've reviewed the next couple of chapters, that will make it prologue and three chapters in, with an already-written chapter to fit in somewhere, and another already-written chapter to fit in somewhere, too.
Each chapter is not great in size, reflecting my newer style of modern writing, but I believe they contain a lot of information and movement. A lot is made of 'show, don't tell' - and rightly so. I'm writing it in third person, allowing any person in the story to have his/her own life separate to the hero. And I'm doing my very best to ensure 'show'.
I did dally with first person, but really I would have got it all wrong at the very beginning, as I needed to have learned a lot of things - most of all how to counter the 'monologue effect'. A lot of works get away with murder, with huge amounts of tell, simply because they are in first person. Dean Koontz does first person brilliantly, so I have a first class teacher there. But the work has to match the decision of which way to write. My decision this time is to write in third. It is the right one.
I have a feeling inside me that says I should have written more than I have, that perhaps I should be further down the road with it all. But as I've said earlier, I seem unable to write until I've spent quite a while preparing for the next piece to be written. A kind of 'in-progress' structuring, maybe. And out of my control. I guess I shouldn't write if I'm not ready to write - possibly my main fault (if it should be called a fault) when writing my earlier stuff. Then, I just wrote until I had nothing left to say. Enjoyable and artistic - but I can say exactly the same about writing my new stuff. It's not a criticism. I find I can do it both ways, so it's a bit of self-praise as well as self-analysis. Neither way is wrong. You have to do what is right 'in the moment'.
Gipsy Rose Warhol
You know, it takes a certain gift to have everyone quoting you years after you’ve said something. But I guess it takes an even greater gift to have the thing just about come true. Yep, I’m pretty sure, now, that everyone will become world-famous for fifteen minutes – and blogs just moved the spotlight that little bit closer.
So, here we go: lights, camera, action!! Umm, actually I’m not quite ready yet – gimme fifteen minutes…
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment