(I've been standing behind the prologue and looking along the line of the story, trying to view the future.)
No wonder I was struggling to come up with a way forward after the second chapter: the second chapter seemed to be in the wrong place. That is, I put it in the wrong place. As good as I believe this chapter to be, the impression given is that the story is jumping from one place to another, or from one person to another. If I place another chapter before it (one I'd already written), the story stays with the hero and moves in a more natural line towards the narrative, and forces me to focus on the narrative. And there is another chapter already written to follow on from that. They just need me to review them. The replaced chapter, coming later, will allow a rivulet or stream to form afterwards, adding a further layer to the story.
Once again, I surprised myself with my initial idea - that the story should begin with the hero and stay with him for a while until a natural break occurred. I was right the first time. I must learn to trust my instincts more. Introducing other people is an art, and not only in 'how', but in 'when'. Timing is vital.
Of course, I can't show this to you, like I can't show you anything else to do with the story. But that is where I am.
I feel more at ease, but I think I've stated this before, only to change things again. I don't think so, this time. This change should prove to have been the right one.
Gipsy Rose Warhol
You know, it takes a certain gift to have everyone quoting you years after you’ve said something. But I guess it takes an even greater gift to have the thing just about come true. Yep, I’m pretty sure, now, that everyone will become world-famous for fifteen minutes – and blogs just moved the spotlight that little bit closer.
So, here we go: lights, camera, action!! Umm, actually I’m not quite ready yet – gimme fifteen minutes…
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment