Just about unanimous. Both Solvey and Noel say the same thing: the first chapter has to be dynamic and it has to grab the reader immediately. The 'reader' being the agent in the first instance, and then the editor.
In short, although I have no problem writing lucid and entertaining prose with a dash of style ;-), I probably would grab no agent or editor with the first chapter I created.
I don't think I can write a new first chapter right now. I need to consider more of what my story is about. I do believe I have the chapter at hand, but I won't write it until I'm sure. As the chapter I have in mind doesn't involve the hero of the story, then it may not be the right way to start.
However, nothing I've written will be discarded, as I may have to put them back, or use them anyway as they need to be there.
The Lord Of The Rings had no great and wondrous start. Neither did The Hobbit. Neither does Use Of Weapons, nor Seize The Night. Nor does Great Expectations. All my own personal points of reference. However, they may not hold the key to my latest work with regard to the opening chapter. I need to think, and to do!
However, I must also be careful not to write a beginning that causes changes to the text already conceived and written. I like what I've done, so any beginning has to fit the story as I see it. If I really can't write a beginning that has a humdinger of start then I mustn't worry. First and foremost, everything must be well-written and carry style. Then there must be a story worthy of the name and memorable people to populate it.
The beginning will reveal itself, I'm sure, just it doesn't need to be written until I'm ready to write it. That's the nub of it, really. Solvey and Noel are absolutely right. But I'll probably not know how it should start until after I get further in. I may never know and someone else may suggest it. It's fun, though - no need to get depressed about it. There's a long way to go, so I mustn't rush and then ruin everything.
Thanks guys, I really do appreciate your help.
Keep you posted...
Gipsy Rose Warhol
You know, it takes a certain gift to have everyone quoting you years after you’ve said something. But I guess it takes an even greater gift to have the thing just about come true. Yep, I’m pretty sure, now, that everyone will become world-famous for fifteen minutes – and blogs just moved the spotlight that little bit closer.
So, here we go: lights, camera, action!! Umm, actually I’m not quite ready yet – gimme fifteen minutes…
Tuesday, 11 August 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment