Gipsy Rose Warhol

You know, it takes a certain gift to have everyone quoting you years after you’ve said something. But I guess it takes an even greater gift to have the thing just about come true. Yep, I’m pretty sure, now, that everyone will become world-famous for fifteen minutes – and blogs just moved the spotlight that little bit closer. So, here we go: lights, camera, action!! Umm, actually I’m not quite ready yet – gimme fifteen minutes…

Sunday, 23 September 2007

In The Shadow Of Peter Pan

Way back, when I was struggling to come up with a style that worked for me in writing Sword Of Isgarion, I was advised to write some short stories a) to improve my vision of story-writing i.e. beginning, middle and end; and b) to possibly help create a fan base if any of them were published.
The Christmas story on the Bedtime-Story website was the very first of my short stories. When I look at it now, I can see what I could have done differently every time. But it was a great help in getting me started.
My main impetus for coming up with an idea was to scan newspaper, magazine or teletext headlines and see what I could come up with as an alternative story. My own take on Bowie's cutting-up of newspaper text and rearranging them into a different order for use in songs.
Of all of these stories, the one that intrigued me most was the one I didn't write: In the Shadow Of Peter Pan. A piece of fan-fiction with a different and sinister slant. I decided I wasn't ready to write it, was never sure that I'd be able to sell it (it being fan-fiction), and I was at a point where I needed to begin writing Sword again. So I never got round to it. I still have no idea when I would ever get round to writing it, but every now and then I will find myself thinking about it.
I do feel that we are all in the shadow of Peter Pan. That we all would live forever or never grow old, given the chance. And that this is part of the subconscious mystery of art: why we do it. It is a form of expression, for sure. But I believe it is the driving force in the recording of history, in recording the development of human existence. It's just a belief, and not a theory that can be substantiated by me. I don't think that art has been viewed entirely in that way - as the driving force. Probably, I feel, because it is seen as a subconscious process. Like my theory on instinct, I believe it is much more conscious than that. It is there for us to use, or control. We know, understand, that the recording of history has been changed, modified, to suit the purposes of whoever changed it - or we know that it hasn't been recorded at all, or fear that it might not. Art is smart! In my story, so was Peter Pan's shadow. We are all in the shadow of Peter Pan.

No comments: