Gipsy Rose Warhol

You know, it takes a certain gift to have everyone quoting you years after you’ve said something. But I guess it takes an even greater gift to have the thing just about come true. Yep, I’m pretty sure, now, that everyone will become world-famous for fifteen minutes – and blogs just moved the spotlight that little bit closer. So, here we go: lights, camera, action!! Umm, actually I’m not quite ready yet – gimme fifteen minutes…

Sunday, 28 November 2010

Geordie Tolkien

Glancing at the front page of the local Evening Chronicle, I noticed an article entitled Tolkien of the Toon. Toon is the Geordie nickname for Newcastle e.g. Am gaan up the Toon: I'm going to Newcastle.
Well, would you believe it - Tolkien had an Aunt Grace, who lived, and was buried, in Jesmond. The grave she shares with her husband William Mountain was discovered during a makeover of the cemetery.

Wow!
I mean, WOW!

Suddenly, all kinds of references inside The Lord Of The Rings have taken deeper meaning. Longshanks, The Black Gate, the mines of Moria.

Now we have the Northern-rooted legend of King Arthur and Avalon (Lindisfarne) and the Northern-influenced fantasy of The Lord Of The Rings. The two greatest legends of the western world and they can be traced back to the North East. Arthur in Glastonbury? Pah! No chance.

I'd love to rewrite the Arthurian Legend, and also the Norwegian Sagas, perhaps. Probably not happen, but the idea is there in my head. Always has been.

Jeez! Tolkien had roots up North!
All together now: 'And did those feet, in ancient times...'

No comments: