Gipsy Rose Warhol

You know, it takes a certain gift to have everyone quoting you years after you’ve said something. But I guess it takes an even greater gift to have the thing just about come true. Yep, I’m pretty sure, now, that everyone will become world-famous for fifteen minutes – and blogs just moved the spotlight that little bit closer. So, here we go: lights, camera, action!! Umm, actually I’m not quite ready yet – gimme fifteen minutes…

Sunday, 17 October 2010

Who speaks?

I have friends of differing nationalities, and sexualities. Being straight and white, there are thoughts and attitudes, manners of speech and behaviour that I don't naturally comprehend. So I began a search, to seek out people I don't know about in order that I can represent them properly in my new story. (Actually, it's not a new story any more in my mind, but obviously everyone else will hopefully think it is.)
Nearly finished this research. I'm still in the middle of it. I know, if I hadn't done it, some of the things said and done in my new book couldn't have happened.
If I get published (sigh!), the list of credits (websites etc) will be a revelation and a source of amusement. I've had some amazing conversations with some amazing and striking people. Some of them have disappeared without trace. I do wish I could have met some of them, but I have long known this could have been dangerous and downright silly.
But it's been a blast, and though this research hasn't finished, it has been rewarding. I couldn't have written this book in the way I've done it without the internet. I know it can seem real at times, but great illusions are like that.
Still running with it....

No comments: