Gipsy Rose Warhol

You know, it takes a certain gift to have everyone quoting you years after you’ve said something. But I guess it takes an even greater gift to have the thing just about come true. Yep, I’m pretty sure, now, that everyone will become world-famous for fifteen minutes – and blogs just moved the spotlight that little bit closer. So, here we go: lights, camera, action!! Umm, actually I’m not quite ready yet – gimme fifteen minutes…

Sunday, 17 October 2010

Slow down!

From The Lord Of The Rings:

'Away now, Shadowfax! Run, greatheart, run as you have never run before! Now we are come to the lands where you were foaled, and every stone you know. Run now! Hope is in speed!'
Shadowfax tossed his head and cried aloud, as if a trumpet had summoned him to battle. Then he sprung forward. Fire flew from his feet; night rushed over him.
As he fell slowly into sleep, Pippin had a strange feeling: he and Gandalf were as still as stone, seated upon the statue of a running horse, while the world rolled away beneath his feet with a great noise of wind.

Majestic. It took Tolkien about 13 years to write LOTR, writing mostly at night. So why am I rushing to finish mine when I could miss writing fabulous prose such as that? I've taken my time and produced what I feel is good stuff. I have to look after this story and not rush things. It will be done when it is done, and I must judge that properly.
I guess I looked for this piece in LOTR as I had been listening to Susan Boyle's rendition of the Stones' Wild Horses. Mick Jagger said that The Beatles wrote better songs but that the Stones were better live. I am not so sure that is entirely true: to me, other people's versions of Stones' songs seem always to be better than the originals.
I've felt lost for a while. Maybe that's why I've been seeking out opinions. It is the right thing to do, of course. But not as often as I have with these flashbacks. I need to trust myself more. Hmmm. I think, also, that I just needed to be reminded that it is the treatment that is the key. The writing of it, the approach. If there is any greatness within what you've done, then this will bring it out. Allied to a good plot, you're halfway there.
Now for the other half. If I can just find it lol

No comments: