That's been me, lately. Chocolate ones. Some kind of comfort food as I ponder my next literary move. Yet my poetic leanings seem to be taking a back seat as I write a story that is as serious as it is fantasy-laden. Fantasy-laden? Who says so? I do, so it is! Just, it's got roots in real history - English history. So I can't wax lyrical simply because the mood takes me.
Last night, I wrote two pages of a flashback. It's part of a chapter and introduces the reader to another view of the past. Our past, as well as the story's. Roots! The idea had been there for a while, but it began to niggle at me more and more until I just had to write out the whole idea. That's how I planned to write this book: no writing until I was bursting at the seams for it to come out of me. So far, so good. Except I tend to be writing what I feel I should write, as opposed to writing in chronological order. Hence the choccy biccies. I need them to support my nervous system.
I'm off in two weeks' time, and during those two weeks I'll be writing more of the story movement than I've allowed myself. All of the research I've done was geared to writing a beginning, and anything I've found that was a few steps ahead was left, with a view to picking up these future threads later. There are things I haven't touched yet which will be integral parts of the story when the story comes to them.
One particular idea I had, which caused me to talk to a certain type of people across the internet, seems to have become redundant. Although they appear in the story, the idea seems to have lost its appeal. I will need to revisit the whole idea and see if there is still room for it. It still seems valid, but I must make it clear in my head how valid the reason is before carrying on with it. If I rediscover why I picked up on it, then all the better it will be. How I approach it is the key.
It's going to be a tough two weeks. Six biccies left. That's my mother's birth date. Hmmm. Five is my lucky number. I'll leave them in the packet for now, as both numbers are there. My double chin awaits...
Gipsy Rose Warhol
You know, it takes a certain gift to have everyone quoting you years after you’ve said something. But I guess it takes an even greater gift to have the thing just about come true. Yep, I’m pretty sure, now, that everyone will become world-famous for fifteen minutes – and blogs just moved the spotlight that little bit closer.
So, here we go: lights, camera, action!! Umm, actually I’m not quite ready yet – gimme fifteen minutes…
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment