Gipsy Rose Warhol

You know, it takes a certain gift to have everyone quoting you years after you’ve said something. But I guess it takes an even greater gift to have the thing just about come true. Yep, I’m pretty sure, now, that everyone will become world-famous for fifteen minutes – and blogs just moved the spotlight that little bit closer. So, here we go: lights, camera, action!! Umm, actually I’m not quite ready yet – gimme fifteen minutes…

Tuesday, 16 March 2010

Writing well

I wonder how many people have a well. Inside themselves. That they would dip into; and every time they did something - anything - out would come something new.
Or if they would dip into this well, what was found was really something that had always been there, but was just waiting to be released.
I dunno, but every time I write something, and then I decide to change it, it comes out slightly different to what I'd already done. Even if the change is only slight. The difference can be seen. By me, and by others. It's great to get a confirmation of what you feel is wrong, as I have recently, but I can't change anything until I've had time to think. Which is good - more haste, less speed and all that.
I suppose I could always change things to my own taste and leave it at that. Do what I want, forget the rest. But I need opinions, and so I'm getting them. They do strike a chord with me. Everything I've got back in the form of feedback has been more or less what was in my own head. Some good, some bad. There's more to come, and I won't be writing any more into the beginning until it's all received and I've had time to digest it.
I guess what I'm saying is that I'm struggling a bit. Not writing as fluently as I can (like this blog post), and not fully extending my thoughts in case I put silly stuff down. You're meant to put silly stuff down, otherwise how do you go places no other people go? That's what makes you different.
Hmmm. Am I testing the water? Seeing what works and what doesn't? Too much? The new chapter isn't the finished article - it's quite rough, and skeletal. For me, that is. I think the idea is fine - no, it's good - but the preceding poem was really meant for a later chapter; an illustrative flashback. Why, then, did I place it at the front of the book? Laziness? Thinking too much? Why do I believe I need something at the front, before the first chapter?
Maybe I don't.
Both the prologue and the poem (which will be returned to its former chapter) don't seem to work. The prologue could work, if I put in some exciting movement, some visual thought-stirring action.
Still, it's all not the final piece. Work is needed still on the beginning. A spot of refining.
I'm happy that it's there. A concrete beginning on which the opening chapters are built. They depend on this chapter, as they come back around to it eventually. Just gotta be careful how I present it. The writing has to be better, that's for sure.
I need to listen to some music...

No comments: