Gipsy Rose Warhol

You know, it takes a certain gift to have everyone quoting you years after you’ve said something. But I guess it takes an even greater gift to have the thing just about come true. Yep, I’m pretty sure, now, that everyone will become world-famous for fifteen minutes – and blogs just moved the spotlight that little bit closer. So, here we go: lights, camera, action!! Umm, actually I’m not quite ready yet – gimme fifteen minutes…

Monday, 11 February 2008

The Man Who Fell To Earth

The scene in the above-named movie that struck me the most was where my superhero of all time, David Bowie, was sitting in front of a bank of TV screens, watching everything on all of the channels.
That's how I felt last night.
The thought had entered my head a few times, too. Blow me, but there it was: The Man Who Fell To Earth, on TV. Except, it was almost over. A good job, too - I had work to do!
Amazing, really, but evenings often see me with the TV on any one of a hundred channels, my laptop buzzing away in front of me, my notes on my latest work to hand, a few texts flying back and forth on my mobile, and thoughts of the future wandering through my head.
Last night was no exception to that, except that I was in the middle of a much-needed 'sort' of the beginning of my latest work. I knew I needed to be more clear in my mind as to what was going to happen next, so I set about writing some more notes as to the more immediate course of events. Time flew by, and I noticed The Red Carpet was on one of the channels, showing footage from the BAFTAs and the Grammys, and I watched some of it. At about 5 am, I called a halt to everything. I am a whole lot clearer as to the next chapters up until about chapter 12. I did get a feeling that things were happening too quickly in the story, and I had a feeling I wasn't leaving room for the flashbacks, and the introduction of certain people needed to be handled properly. But of course, these were notes, and the ideas held within them, once expanded, should cause the 'quickness' feeling to disappear. I'm writing more economically in this modern fantasy than I would in sword fantasy, so I must remember not to worry too much about things like that. I'm using a different style, after all.
5 am and I didn't feel at all tired. But I knew I'd better get some rest. You don't know when it's going to catch up with you. Or how.
I will write again tonight. It's fun, though full of uncertainty. Not uncertainty about the story - it is there in my notes, at the very least, and is also there in conversation, and the part that both Noel and Solvey have got. It's the uncertainty that I should do it justice that gets to me. It's not a short story (when I write down things I have yet to introduce it seems to stretch into infinity), and there is more than one book. I've been patient enough to allow it to evolve to this point. Impatience will see it fail.
If that happens, then I will fall to earth.

No comments: