Gipsy Rose Warhol

You know, it takes a certain gift to have everyone quoting you years after you’ve said something. But I guess it takes an even greater gift to have the thing just about come true. Yep, I’m pretty sure, now, that everyone will become world-famous for fifteen minutes – and blogs just moved the spotlight that little bit closer. So, here we go: lights, camera, action!! Umm, actually I’m not quite ready yet – gimme fifteen minutes…

Tuesday, 10 July 2007

About 30 pages...

I had a good look last night at everything I'd done in the way of planning and writing for the beginning of the book. Not strictly all of it, just what I thought was relevant to the very beginning.
I've got roughly 30 pages of handwritten notes concerning everything. And some chapters already typed up, which I didn't look at.
After a short while, I began to feel really pleased with what I'd done so far. The history, where it all began, was taking shape and the relevance to the present and the future was a lot clearer than it had been. As ever, the problem lies with that dreaded word 'exposition'. In this story, it's vital, and the illustration of it equally so.
I've just mentioned history. Well, this particular history began hundreds of years ago, and the absolute beginning is either a prologue, or the first chapter. Not 100% sure which, just yet. The explanations are really rooted way in the past, with the present and future continuations of this past.
Flashbacks. Can't do it any way else. Frightening! If they work, brilliant - if they don't, disaster! The first piece is a flashback on its own and works really well, introducing three of the people in the story very well. Just gotta be careful.
But I really like what I've done. Really like it - though I'm scared to death of it all, too!
Noel the Ultimate Proofreader likes it, too, and is as aware as I am that I have to get everything completely right. His laser-light questions and observations have me thinking long into the night.
It's clear that I'm spending a huge amount of time looking at the beginning. It feels like I'm on a knife edge, which is great - if the story, the narrative, can reflect this knife edge, then I will be doing rather well.

2 comments:

R1X said...

I'm certain that if the flashback is suitably dynamic you won't have a problem :)

esruel said...

Yep, Rich, there has to be movement. I have to show the past, not tell it, and as you say, make it dynamic. It's going to be fun, I'm sure, doing it.