'Just keep thinking' was great advice! Well, it is my blog, set up to chronicle and assist me as I write my latest work. I nearly closed it down, once, but solvey (he of the maggotfarm) persuaded me not to. Glad he did!
I have, at last, managed to find a new name for Leon. In keeping with my agreement with Noel the Ultimate Proofreader (and he is 100% correct), I really mustn't discuss my latest story in any more detail than that. So I won't reveal what I'm writing about until I've written more than enough to enable me to send it to agents - in about six months, perhaps.
It's such a strange feeling coming up with this new name and substituting it for the old one. It feels rather like a betrayal, as I've been using the name Leon for a couple of years - from the first idea until the planning and writing I've thus far achieved.
There is already a book and film about someone called Leon, neither of which have been viewed by me. I know next-to-nothing about them, not even whether either, or both, were successful - though I know that Gary Oldman was in the film, so I guess I probably would enjoy the film, at least.
I feel a whole lot better for finding a new name - one that I can't find reference to in anyone else's story. Still can't relax, though. How can I, when I've really only just begun writing it all out in full? It's still great fun, but it's also become very serious. Serious fun - you can't beat it!
Gipsy Rose Warhol
You know, it takes a certain gift to have everyone quoting you years after you’ve said something. But I guess it takes an even greater gift to have the thing just about come true. Yep, I’m pretty sure, now, that everyone will become world-famous for fifteen minutes – and blogs just moved the spotlight that little bit closer.
So, here we go: lights, camera, action!! Umm, actually I’m not quite ready yet – gimme fifteen minutes…
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Maybe Noel doesn't like having his name reversed?
:o)
Sunset Bickham advises all writers to keep a journal of their ideas and thoughts. In that way, we can look back over time and see that we have progressed, and that is a great motivator for it fills us with the feeling that we really are progressing.
I also had a lecturer who advised me to discuss my thoughts with others. He said that sometimes just by verbalising an idea, we can see solutions for ourselves.
Lastly, I think it may have been Hemingway who said that some writers exist only to inspire one sentence in another writer. Yes, he was a rather harsh fellow (and I wonder if the thought was directed at one of his companions), and I'd rather not think about the 'only' bit, but it is certainly a noble thing to share with others! :o)
Btw, Leon is a great film, its strength rooted very much in the relationship between two loners: one an assassin, the other an abused young girl.
Keep the faith Esy.
Noel actually liked the name Leon as much as I did, but his grounded approach to everything makes him a marvellous sounding-board for my ideas, and ever-changing ideas!
Actually, I do know the brief synopsis for 'Leon', having looked that part up after discovering its existence, so I will say that my new work is similarly very much a tale of isolated outsiders taking on the world, and I really needed to remove any further room for comparison (remember my verbal joust with Osc when he suggested I was copying Tolkien - I'm anxious to avoid any such repetition!!!)
Yeah, verbalising an idea is most definitely a great way of exploring solutions. Noel is well-versed in author-reader discussions and can think in the same mode as the writer, as well as standing firm as a reader and telling me what might or might not work. Just I don't believe writers should be airing their ideas, and solutions to ideas, on their blogs or websites - unless they are published ideas, of course. You're going to be read by authors, and just one of your ideas could transform another's work, and you will lose out, for sure. Good or bad, you've lost it to someone else.
I would always ask you for your opinion on my stuff when it's ready. It's the unknown reader that bothers me, really.
I absolutey love the film - twas the first 18 I bought whilst 16. Loved it.
Post a Comment