Gipsy Rose Warhol

You know, it takes a certain gift to have everyone quoting you years after you’ve said something. But I guess it takes an even greater gift to have the thing just about come true. Yep, I’m pretty sure, now, that everyone will become world-famous for fifteen minutes – and blogs just moved the spotlight that little bit closer. So, here we go: lights, camera, action!! Umm, actually I’m not quite ready yet – gimme fifteen minutes…

Wednesday, 18 April 2007

Trust thyself!

A funny thing, but I have steadfastly refused to re-read all of the stories I grew up with. The stories given to me as a child to read: Peter Pan, The Magician's Nephew, Alice In Wonderland, Billy Bunter, King Arthur, Enid Blyton stuff, Beatrix Potter's...
It's all to do with one thing: instinct. I believe that, as I grew up, I developed an instinct for certain stories, certain ways of writing, or relating, the story to an audience. My own personal instinct, for better or for worse. I have a lot of memories from the past, a huge number of them, blurred through time, glossy even. And I don't dare disturb them. They form a massive part of my thinking now. One day, I will return to them. But it will be when it's too late to affect what I'm attempting to do.
This takes me back to that word 'instinct' again.
Instincts are developed. Subconsciously. They don't just appear out of nothing. Now, setting aside any theories on evolution and creation etc etc, when it comes to everyday life you usually learn as you go - a tiny example is that drinking alcohol might make you ill. But over time, and with (lots of!) experimentation, you may be able to strike a happy medium, and develop certain tastes, preferences.
So it can be with writing. Except, you will have had a head start.
By the time you've decided to become a writer, you'll probably have been a writer for quite a while and just didn't realise it. You will have developed tastes, preferences, long before you will have put pen to paper. Instincts for writing, and particular types of writing, will already have been developed. They will have become an important part of your thinking without you consciously having to make the effort. You will add to them over time, but more consciously as you grow older and gather more experience. You are, in effect, not simply trusting your instincts. You are trusting in yourself. No better person to trust!

No comments: