'I've been told, when I get older, that I'll understand it all. But I'm not sure if I want to,' sings the fabulous Kate Bush.
A strange sentence, that last one in the excerpt from In Search Of Peter Pan. Because, when you're young, you do want to understand. And only someone older, who is looking back, would actually say that they maybe didn't want to understand. It always has me wondering whether Ms. Bush was truly writing from her much younger childhood memories, or whether the experience of growing older had influenced what she was trying to say.
'Why pick on that song?' I can almost hear you ask.
Well, I love Kate Bush and I also love the story of Peter Pan. So it all had the effect of making me think more than usual while listening to it. And I am in search of Peter Pan: I want to write a story that will last forever; that will stay young forever - appeal forever.
Because of that, I feel you always have to get the writing right, to get each sentence right, as each impacts on the next. It impacts on the reader's mind. You say the slightest thing 'wrong', and somehow the reader's view, impression, perception, of the tale, has been misdirected. This has caused me to always attempt to get my point across clearly. I try to write clearly.
Maybe one day, when I'm much older, I hope to understand it all. I know that I never will. It's impossible. Nobody can. But I do know that I want to.
Gipsy Rose Warhol
You know, it takes a certain gift to have everyone quoting you years after you’ve said something. But I guess it takes an even greater gift to have the thing just about come true. Yep, I’m pretty sure, now, that everyone will become world-famous for fifteen minutes – and blogs just moved the spotlight that little bit closer.
So, here we go: lights, camera, action!! Umm, actually I’m not quite ready yet – gimme fifteen minutes…
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hey es, I have a lifetime love of Peter Pan too, having seen and become fascinated with the Disney film aged 2. Even now, I get a tingle when I take the Peter Pan ride in Disneyland.
Mind you some Pan fans hate the Disney version. Are you Disney-Pan positive or negative?
Also adore The Magician's Nephew. It stands up extremely well to an adult re-reading.
Hiya Maria
I think Peter Pan is the ultimate small-child hero: every kid wants to fly! I do wonder whether the name Disney is fated to taint any fantasy in the eyes of 'serious believers', simply on account of its commercial touches. I am Disney-Pan positive. Guess I'm just a kid at heart!
So glad you are a soon-to-be published author. Keep it up! I'm sure you'll sell millions!!
Es
Post a Comment