The story has been moving along - a good feeling for me, as it meant that I was pushing through the beginning and heading into storyville - or the river, as I normally call it. For this particular chapter I'm doing, I only had a very brief note as to why it needed to be there. I'm half-guessing that right now in the story is the time to do it. It contains a bit of exposition, helping the reader/audience to understand the hero's position or status at this point in time. After this chapter, other people in the story step in and out. It's not what you do it's the way that you do it, sang the song! It's my management of this that will determine the success of the narrative.
The thought creeps into my head that I've been writing this a long time - too long, perhaps, on the face of things. But looking back over my blog, which to me seems as boring as hell, I don't think I've reflected very well the length of time I didn't write. There were periods of research, of course, but there were also periods where I couldn't think of anything. Or I didn't try to think of anything. And where I frequently felt like burning it all and giving up the whole game - this was a reality, though somehow I managed to fight it off. You know, I do believe the main problem with writing my first book, Sword, was that I didn't take the time to stop! I wrote flat out for two years, rewrote stuff, dictated it through voice-activation software and then smoothed it all out. It failed to sell to agents, though I got some good replies to help me on the way to getting rejected elsewhere ;-) I'm trying to avoid that scenario happening again. Easier said than done. But I don't just want to sell - I want people to say that I can write. It colours everything I do with this project. Probably why I'll fail ;-)
:-)
Gipsy Rose Warhol
You know, it takes a certain gift to have everyone quoting you years after you’ve said something. But I guess it takes an even greater gift to have the thing just about come true. Yep, I’m pretty sure, now, that everyone will become world-famous for fifteen minutes – and blogs just moved the spotlight that little bit closer.
So, here we go: lights, camera, action!! Umm, actually I’m not quite ready yet – gimme fifteen minutes…
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment