Gipsy Rose Warhol

You know, it takes a certain gift to have everyone quoting you years after you’ve said something. But I guess it takes an even greater gift to have the thing just about come true. Yep, I’m pretty sure, now, that everyone will become world-famous for fifteen minutes – and blogs just moved the spotlight that little bit closer. So, here we go: lights, camera, action!! Umm, actually I’m not quite ready yet – gimme fifteen minutes…

Sunday, 17 August 2008

The Times They Are A-changing

Well, I've picked up my bag and bits of things from my desk and left. I met some lovely people, some of whom I hope will be friends forever. Life isn't all about money. And, I guess, so it shouldn't be all about dreams.
The real reason I took the job on was that it was in Newcastle. I rather hoped it would help with inspiration and atmosphere for my book. Sometimes it worked - one thing I got right was the rain, as it rains almost every day in Newcastle. And the weather changes every five minutes. But the summer put paid to the atmosphere, and I do feel it is probably a book that can only be written in the autumn and winter. Autumn and winter are almost here, and I feel I'm beginning to think like some kind of writer again.
Newcastle has such a dark past, frequently related to the monarchy and the government, and surprising you with its effect on national history. And boy, did I get a shock when I entered the graveyard of an ancient church. I had never been there before - only viewing it from the outside. But they've given it a makeover, and one day the gate was open. Something was there that was the very image of what was in my head!
There is a Dickensian feel about the place that appeals to me - jeez, you can be walking along a modern part of Newcastle and suddenly a dark, ancient brick building will loom out of the ground, and you look up at it and wonder. Time doesn't stop - it talks to you. And everything seems so tall and the streets so narrow, you wonder why - what needed to be done so quickly, in such haste, that caused people to do this.
Maybe I can reveal it...

No comments: