I've actually not written much in the way of words on paper in the past few weeks. Mainly, I've been thinking of the future and where the story will turn next. I had a 'eureka!' moment concerning the opening line to chapter four, which caused me to click my fingers and shout 'Ha!' to myself at home. But I didn't go further than that. Just letting things gel in my mind, ensuring that I capture the thought process that made me think of it. I have to be careful. I'm sure I'll be writing over Christmas and New Year, though I'll be as social as possible while doing it!
I had a similar moment of limbo while rewriting the beginning to Sword. The very beginning I came up with was written a bit wooden-like, but the idea was right. For some reason, I had a flashback about it - probably because I am using flashbacks as part of that dreaded word 'exposition' - to when I posted the new beginning at Litopia. I got something like four reviews. FOUR! Or something like it. PALTRY! That was the beginning of the end for me there, but not before I made sure everyone knew it wasn't good enough - the number of reviews, I mean, not my work. I've never felt such disgust and I suspect the memory of it will stay with me forever, as I've never forgotten it. It hit home to me how alone a writer is. I've mellowed now, of course, though I'll never be an active member of a forum again because of that time. I've pointed a few writers in the past year at Litopia, as I still believe it's a worthwhile website for any writer, and I understand it has changed a bit since then. But I've no idea if they joined or even looked.
This made me think of something. Something I learned while at Critters. If you can help another writer, then do it. Even if you don't have fantastic thoughts about what you've read, just do the best you can. Be honest. Always be honest. But do it. Never, ever, ever do nothing. And especially if someone's helped you, then you must return the favour at least. Everything helps.
That is the writer's lot: to help yourself, of course; and, while doing it, help other writers. Make sure you do!
Gipsy Rose Warhol
You know, it takes a certain gift to have everyone quoting you years after you’ve said something. But I guess it takes an even greater gift to have the thing just about come true. Yep, I’m pretty sure, now, that everyone will become world-famous for fifteen minutes – and blogs just moved the spotlight that little bit closer.
So, here we go: lights, camera, action!! Umm, actually I’m not quite ready yet – gimme fifteen minutes…
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment