Gipsy Rose Warhol

You know, it takes a certain gift to have everyone quoting you years after you’ve said something. But I guess it takes an even greater gift to have the thing just about come true. Yep, I’m pretty sure, now, that everyone will become world-famous for fifteen minutes – and blogs just moved the spotlight that little bit closer. So, here we go: lights, camera, action!! Umm, actually I’m not quite ready yet – gimme fifteen minutes…

Sunday, 6 April 2008

Peter Pan and Oliver Twist

Peter Pan is probably the greatest character in a work of fantasy. To me, he is rivalled only by Oliver Twist in a true literary work. I will always say that Oliver Twist is the greater, because of his reflection of actual history. To create a work that can be enjoyed and appreciated from such a horrific period in so-called 'civilised' society takes some kind of ability. Especially when you consider that the author was a child worker from such times. Dickens did not have the classical background for a writer. From humble beginnings, he managed to scale such heights.
Of course, there is King Arthur. The vagaries of the whole King Arthur Legend, much as I love it, cause me to feel that it is not a work of literary prowess - more a work of great legend. The greatest legend that has ever been, and because of that, the greatest legend that will ever be.
I can't have it that Dickens wasn't the greatest. I also can't have it that such homegrown or foreign inferior writers, whose works register barely a ripple in the consciousnesses of the reading world, shall be mentioned in the same sentence. Nor should they be presented to our children in preference. As further reading, yes. If they want to read them. As preferred reading, without choice, absolutely not.

No comments: