Gipsy Rose Warhol

You know, it takes a certain gift to have everyone quoting you years after you’ve said something. But I guess it takes an even greater gift to have the thing just about come true. Yep, I’m pretty sure, now, that everyone will become world-famous for fifteen minutes – and blogs just moved the spotlight that little bit closer. So, here we go: lights, camera, action!! Umm, actually I’m not quite ready yet – gimme fifteen minutes…

Thursday, 7 June 2007

Time, infinity, and us!

I was reading through a few posts on a rather brilliant blog named 'fencingwiththefog' (there is a link to it on my blog here - any kind of writer, but especially screenwriters, should go there), when House, in the aptly-named series 'House', said 'If the world is infinite, then what use is life?' Or something like that.
Indeed.
That took me back to the eternal question: Will I ever get published?
Oops, sorry - the eternal question is: why? Why are we here? Why us? Why are we? Why anything?
I actually wonder whether that is a true, valid question. You can apply the question 'why?' to anything.
I always think that the real question is 'how?' Unfortunately, the answer to that also only goes so far back, too. It has its own unresolved theories.
This all got me thinking a bit further (House, you sod, I was trying to relax!). The world, the universe, apparently is growing. The planets are hurtling through the heavens, away from each other and at ever-increasing rates. This reminded me of the astronauts travelling through space, who appeared not to age too much, grew taller, and other physiological and psychological things, too. And time slowed.
Now, the advent of the computer/internet age, to me, has caused something: the world appears not to have too much use for time in its ordinary sense. We live 24/7. Minutes seem not to matter any more. Further to this, I keep getting the feeling that the '24' part is losing its significance. We are beginning to do everything 24/7 as a matter of fact, to the point where it really seems to be the '7' bit that matters.
And our children are getting taller, and people are living longer.
Could all of this be linked to the planets (includng Earth) moving faster?
How long before the '7' becomes irrelevant?
Could be a great idea for a story.
I've just tried a Coke Zero. It was probably that...

2 comments:

MaryAn Batchellor said...

First of all, thanks for the shout out, but secondly, this sounds like math and it's making me THINK. Stop. Really. It hurts.

esruel said...

Lol! I get these moments now and again. Good job it's only now and again!